Here is the setup I often use for small still life pieces. The light has a mixture of compact florescent bulbs—usually four 6500K bulbs and one 5000K bulb.
Photos 1 and 2 show the basic body of the light. This is the first light I built like this and I took these photos while making some modifications to it—upgrading the older design. On this model I used nuts and bolts with lock washers to fasten things together. For future models I used rivets which I would recommend.
The 4 light reflectors are 8 inches in diameter. The aluminum frame was constructed with 1/16" by 1/2" "L" channel lengths of aluminum. The rivets are 1/8" "medium" length aluminum rivets. The basic outer dimensions of the frame are 16" x 16" x 6" (not including the light reflectors).
Photo 3 shows one of the 6" lengths of aluminum.
Photos 4 and 5 show the piece that I fabricated so I could attach a handle. These were attached at the center on two opposite sides of the 16" x 16" frame (side attached to the reflectors). The piece was cut from an 1/8" thick "L" channel length of aluminum. It is approximately 2" in length. The hole has threads that accept a 1/4" #20 bolt. It was created using a "T handle or a tap wrench" and the correct sized drill bit.
Photos 6, 7 and 8 show a smaller different light I constructed that has a "U" shaped channel (made by adding an extra "L" channel) on three sides. I later decided this was perhaps the best way to go in order to hold the diffusion lens to be made later. The channel is a gap of about an 1/8th of an inch.
Photos 9 and 10 show an extra center light that I added by cutting down another aluminum reflector. They also show the start and finish of enclosing the sides and rear openings. To do this I used aluminum flashing and rivets. On the rear I left the four corner spaces open to allow for air to circulate, helping to dissipate the heat.
Photo 16 shows a tapped out hole (to create threads) put at the center of the u-shaped handle/bracket so that the whole unit can be put onto a sturdy tripod.
Photos 19 and 20 show the bulbs added and the light sockets attached. I later wired all of the cords together into one plug.
And finally the light in action again! As promised here are some links to some lights that should give a similar result: